Food Inc Summary and Review

Posted by Helpful Student | 3:45 PM | , , | 0 comments »

Robert Kenner’s educational documentary, Food Inc., exposes facts about the nation’s food industry that has been concealed from American consumers. This concept of corporate farm in the United States interestingly shows that our nation’s food supply is currently controlled only by a few corporations, such as Tyson Foods, Monsanto Company, Smithfield Foods, Perdue Farms, and others that often put profit before consumer health, the safety of workers, and our environment.

From the film, I learned about the abuse of animals such as chickens and cows that take place in industrial food production. I also gained knowledge that cows are given hormones to make them fat, and other drugs to keep them alive until they are slaughtered. At certain meat packing industries, hundreds cows stand ankle deep in their own manure as they grow and mature. Once the cows are slaughtered, the meat is treated with ammonia to kill all the infected bacteria cow meat gains from this method of production. This process allows fast food restaurants to buy and sell their products at very low prices.

Other important aspects I learned from the film include facts such as the combination of lobbyist-driven government funding for corn and sugar make them the cheapest possible ingredients and feeds of choice, for a factory food systems. Because corn is very cheap, it has been scientifically modified to make high fructose corn syrup. This product serves as a sweetener and preservative and, according to Food Inc., is in almost every product in the supermarket. After a semester of Nutrition, this was not new news to me, but the movie powerfully reiterated the fact. I believe the main point of the movie is to raise awareness concerning the effects the current food industry has on humans.

It was interesting to learn that the Monsanto Company, as well as others, refused to allow any type of press or media into their farms. This tells me as a consumer, that the top companies that control our food supply are hiding something from the public. It is now important to me that I become aware of what is in my food, and how it arrived on my dinner table. I appreciated the fact that the film featured a small town farmer that grows organic crops and livestock, and sells to neighboring residents. This goes to show how powerful American consumers are. For example, every time we run and item past the scanner at the grocery store, we are voting for local, or organic, or neither, and other aspects. American consumers need to be the change they want to see in the food supply. Personally I would prefer buying from small town farmers like mentioned, because organic, nutritionally dense food that will promote a healthier lifestyle.

Prior to watching this film, my family and I had healthy diets. However, Food Inc. has made me think twice about the food I put into my mouth. The fact that some of the meat I may be eating was treated with high levels of ammonia is sickening to think about. The movie has certainly changed my grocery shopping habits, as I try to look for the organic products, and purchase other goods at the local farmers market. Hopefully I will continue to stay healthy, and not resort to cheap fast foods like the family featured in the film. I am grateful this movie was assigned as extra credit; otherwise I may have never seen it.

0 comments